Trump Signs Space Transportation Policy Ordering Interior to Find Federal Land for a New Spaceport

trump signs space transportation policy ordering interior to find federal land for a new spaceport Fix one figure in your head: 1,000. That is the annual volume of launches and reentries the nation's space transportation ranges are expected to absorb by 2030 under the national space transportation policy President Donald Trump put his signature to on Thursday. For comparison, 176 orbital launch attempts lifted off from American soil last year.

Fix one figure in your head: 1,000. That is the annual volume of launches and reentries the nation’s space transportation ranges are expected to absorb by 2030 under the national space transportation policy President Donald Trump put his signature to on Thursday. For comparison, 176 orbital launch attempts lifted off from American soil last year.

What the document calls for, then, isn’t growth. It’s an entire additional country’s worth of launch infrastructure.

Trump space transportation policy calls for a spaceport on federal land
Trump Signs Space Transportation Policy Ordering Interior to Find Federal Land for a New Spaceport 29

“By 2030, our space transportation ranges must grow to support more than 1,000 launches and reentries every year,” the policy says. “The policies set forth in this memorandum will secure America’s continued superiority in space.”

The Interior Department just got handed a real assignment

Presidential memoranda of this kind are mostly throat-clearing. This one contains a line with actual teeth: the White House is instructing the Department of the Interior to pinpoint federal lands that can serve as an additional designated federal land reentry site.

The instruction lands on the heels of a move by Interior’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, which last month opened a request for public comment on whether submerged lands and abandoned offshore oil rigs might host sea-based space launch and reentry activity. Repurposing rusting oil platforms as spaceports has been floated in this industry before, but a federal agency putting the question to the public formally marks a new level of seriousness.

The Pentagon already said two heavy-lift sites isn’t enough

Read one way, the directive amounts to a stamp of approval on a recent Pentagon study concluding that the government requires a third heavy-lift launch site inside the United States. The report itself remains unreleased. Its finding, however, was laid out publicly by Air Force Secretary Troy Meink during a May hearing before the House Armed Services Committee.

“At a high level, what it says is we probably need another site that’s capable of heavy and super heavy launch capability, both from a resiliency perspective and just, even at the Cape, limitations on how much space we’ve got,” Meink said.

Also present at that hearing was Gen. Chance Saltzman, the Space Force’s top general, who cast the issue as being about geography every bit as much as throughput.

“We’re going to have to increase the capacity,” Saltzman said. “And then, maybe connected to that, is the geographic resiliency that you might need to have separate launch locations and not be so tied to just the two specific launch ports that we have.”

His arithmetic checks out. The federal spaceport roster consists of Cape Canaveral Space Force Station and NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, neighbors on adjoining Florida property, alongside California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base and NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. Of those, only the Florida and California sites are equipped today for heavy-lift launches.

Publishing the schedule is the quiet fix

Tucked beneath all the sweeping infrastructure talk sits one change that matters to anybody who follows this beat professionally. Under the policy, the military and NASA are directed to “regularly publish range schedules to ensure transparent allocation of resources and optimize launch capacity.”

As things stand, schedules for most rocket launches stay under wraps until days or weeks beforehand. Anyone who has attempted to build plans around a launch window understands exactly how much that is worth.

That same section calls for more efficient range scheduling criteria at federally owned spaceports, weighing commercial customers against US government missions. Beyond that, the government is to scout potential sites for additional launch facilities, better fold launch and reentry operations into airspace and air traffic control modernization efforts, and designate “priority airspace for critical space launch corridors.”

48 hours, from wherever

Responsive launch gets its own slice of the policy: putting high-priority payloads in orbit within 48 hours of the need arising, possibly out of “expeditionary locations” far removed from conventional ranges. Portable launch infrastructure is already under development at Rocket Lab and Astra, so the starting point isn’t zero.

NASA’s continuing efforts on commercial transportation to and from the Moon also draw support in the memo, which further tasks the agency with backing future commercial robotic and human expeditions to Mars.

What’s already in motion

A number of the policy’s tenets simply describe what the government is doing regardless: widening commercial access at federal ranges, speeding up permitting and environmental reviews, and levying user fees on commercial launch companies flying out of NASA or US military spaceports.

The Pentagon and NASA are additionally told by the Trump administration to “prioritize and coordinate on infrastructure investments” aimed at expanding launch and reentry capacity and flexibility across federal ranges. The memorandum is silent on whether that implies fresh funding or merely a rearrangement of money already allocated.

Why 2013 feels like a different industry

Superseded by this memorandum is a 2013 policy that former President Barack Obama signed. The underlying philosophy survived the handover: each version stresses support for the commercial space industry, and each highlights assured access to space.

The numbers, though, did not carry over. Last year’s 176 orbital launch attempts from US soil represent nearly 10 times what the 2013 figure was. SpaceX by itself was responsible for 165 orbital Falcon 9 launches, on top of five suborbital test flights of the far bigger Starship.

Driving the anticipated surge is commercial and military appetite for communications services, overhead surveillance, space-based targeting and orbital data centers.

And here’s the piece to keep an eye on. Directing Interior to identify federal land is something a policy can accomplish tomorrow. Erecting a heavy-lift pad there — clearing the environmental reviews, sorting the airspace deconfliction, laying in the propellant infrastructure a super heavy vehicle demands — consumes years that the 2030 deadline does not obviously leave room for. What Meink actually said was “we probably need another site.” That “probably” is carrying quite a load inside a memo demanding a sixfold jump in launch cadence.